Monday, March 1, 2010

Portraiture

Ciao a tutti.
One could make the arguement that the study of the figure and the study of the human head can be two separate and lifelong endeavors.  I love portraits, but I have difficulty capturing a likeness from my subject most times. 
This is one of those rare occasions that I felt I was on the mark.  The model was a lovely young  African-American lady with striking features.  I often find myself going towards a formula when drawing a head, and usually the results are disatrous.  I decided to go a different way here, and focus on copying the shape and placement of shadows, which proved to be a technique I have decided to stick with.  This was only a twenty minute drawing.
I have a session coming up this Thursday, so we will see how that goes...
Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment